- Rapid Prototyping PCB Assembly
- New Product Introduction
- Printed Circuit Board Assembly Services
- Cable and Wire Harness Assembly
- Box Build Assembly Services
- Repair and Refurbishment
- Supply Chain Management
- Low Pressure Injection over Molding
- BGA Rework
- Failure Analysis and Reliability
- Surface Mount Technology
- Electronics Contract Manufacturing Service
- Electronics Testing Services
- PCB Assembly Optical Inspection
- Electromechanical Assembly
- Through-Hole PCB Assembly
- Mixed Model Assembly Services
- High Volume PCB Assembly
- Low Volume PCB Assembly
- Selective Soldering
- Consumer Electronics Fulfillment Services
- Electronics Manufacturing Services
- SMT Stencils
- Turnkey PCB Assembly
- Consigned PCB Assembly
PCB Conformal Coating Services
Printed circuit boards (PCBs) are part of several commercial and industrial electronic devices, and thus are exposed to different work environments. They may be subjected to environmental hazards such as chemicals, moisture, fungus, dust, moisture, as well as pressure and temperature fluctuations, and vibrations. All these factors may have a severe impact on PCBs and affect their performance. To avoid this, conformal coating is performed on the printed circuit board. Suntronic Electronic Manufacturing Services (EMS) specializes in a broad range of PCB conformal coating services that help protect your PCBs from a wide range of environments and extend their shelf life.
Types of PCB Conformal Services Offered by Suntronic Electronic Manufacturing Services
- Silicones: These resins form a soft and transparent coating on the PCB. The silicone conformal coatings are transparent, yet protect fine components effectively.
- Silicone resins possess a low dissipation factor, which makes them ideal for high impedance circuitry.
- Silicone resins provide excellent resistance across a wide temperature range between 55 degrees Celsius and 200 degrees Celsius.
- It assures excellent UV, thermal, and humidity resistance, as well as moisture and salt spray resistance.
- Silicone coating can withstand vibrational stresses although it is not abrasion-resistant.
- It is used on PCBs for high humidity environments.
- Silicone coatings conform to IPC-CC-830 and MIL-I- 46058C standards.
- Acrylic: These coatings are elastic and assure protection. Acrylic coatings are one of the most popular types of conformal coatings because they are easy to apply, easy to remove, and dry quickly. They have comparatively a larger shelf life than other conformal coatings.
- This coating is known for its excellent moisture and abrasion resistance.
- The coating offers basic level protection from a wide range of contaminants.
- They assure the best dielectric strength and are quite economical than many other conformal coatings on this list.
- It forms a crystal clear and smooth finish over the components.
- This coating confirms to IPC-CC-830 and MIL-I-46058C standards.
- Parylene: This coating is used widely to protect surfaces, components, and devices. It is a unique coating because it is produced at room temperature. These coatings can penetrate small spaces.
- The coating offers excellent resistance across wide temperature ranges from -200 degrees Celsius to 150 degrees Celsius.
- The coating is transparent and thin, which makes it an ideal choice for several optical applications.
- This coating is suited for FDA and NASA applications.
- It meets NASA’s low outgassing requirements of less than 0.1 CVCM which stands for Collected Volatile Condensable Materials and 1.0% of Total Mass Loss in a vacuum environment.
- The coating is applied using vapor phase deposition and can be applied as thinly as possible.
- Parylene coating assures excellent dielectric strength and superior resistance to solvents, moisture, and high temperature.
- Epoxy Coating: Epoxy resins form a strong coating and are commonly used in potting compounds. They are often offered as two-part compounds and possess high abrasion and chemical resistance.
- The coatings are less permeable than regular traditional coatings.
- They can work effectively in temperatures up to 150 degrees Celsius.
- They are used to cover the electronics.
- Polyurethane Coating: This coating can be availed as single and double components, water borne systems, and UV curable coating. Polyurethane coating assures excellent dielectric properties.
- The coating assures excellent abrasion, moisture, and chemical resistance.
- Polyurethane coating is used in aerospace applications, where fuel vapors can be a concern.
- This coating can withstand high-temperature and humidity.
- It assures great adhesion in all types of work environments.
- Thin Film/Nano Coatings: The coating is named due to thin coating that it creates over the PCB. Often this type of coating is applied using a dip or spray method. Before application, the coating is dissolved in a solvent, and applied. Generally, the fluorocarbon-based solvent is used for this purpose. Nano coating provides minimal hydrophobicity. This coating possesses several surface protection limitations.
Our conformal coating services are well-known for accuracy and consistency. At Suntronic, we employ the following application methods to apply a conformal coating over PCBs:
- Manual Spraying: In this technique, the coating is applied using a handheld spray gun or an aerosol can. Our experts generally employ this technique for low-volume production or prototypes. It is performed by our experts, which helps us ensure consistency and quality across all boards, where it is applied.
- Automated Spraying: An automated spray system or a programmed system is used to apply the coating. This spray system is positioned on a conveyor and feature a spray head, which applies the coating on the PCB that comes before it.
- Dipping: The component is dipped horizontally, vertically, or at an angle to produce complete coverage. The board can be automatically or manually dipped to assure a consistent coating.
Why Choose Suntronic as Your PCB Conformal Coating Service Partner
At Suntronic, we provide PCB conformal coating as a part of our PCB assembly service. The following features of our services are well-appreciated by the clients.
- We offer customizable, case-to-case variations to ensure the compatibility of the conformal coating with your application requirements right from prototypes to bulk volumes.
- Our quality control, engineering, production, and customer service teams work closely with you to deliver the best products for your needs.
- We deliver the most in-depth engineering services to our customers including guidance for product conformal coating compatibility in the design and development stages.
Feel free to contact us today to discuss your PCB conformal coating requirements. Our experts would be happy to assist you in choosing the right conformal coating material for your PCBs.